The Ministers of Good Taste like to reach out and conduct interviews with fellow cosplayers around the world to see what’s going on. If you would like to be part of CosTalk, or know someone who would – please contact us at email@example.com.
- MoGT: To get us started, can you tell us where your Nerdness comes from and what kind of story is behind it? Childhood? Formative years?
NerdGirlBritt: Honestly I think that nerdness runs in my family. Growing up in my household was awesome because you could always expect Star Trek, Pokémon, or a Superhero movie to be on.
- MoGT: What are the shows/comics/books/ movies that inspire you to dress up? Who are your role models? And what actors/actresses do you aspire to look like?
NerdGirlBritt: It seems that every time I go to a new movie, read a new comic, or watch a new show, I am finding a new character that inspires me to dress up. I am currently obsessed with Arrow and plan to release my variation on the Black Canary very soon. When it comes to role models one of my favorite characters of all time would have to be Veronica Mars played by Kristen Bell. The spunky and quick wit Private Eye inspires women to be strong and in my book she is a superhero.
- MoGT: What was your very first cosplay: character/event/story?
NerdGirlBritt: I would say that my very first cosplay was back in 1997. I dressed up as Batgirl for Halloween because I had always wanted to be Batgirl. I thought she was absolutely amazing because she hung out with the guys and was able to kick butt. I remember having fake abs and thinking they were the coolest thing ever.
- MoGT: Can you share how your costume(s) came about? Do you have any good shopping tips to share with new, aspiring cosplayers?
NerdGirlBritt: Each costume comes about in different ways. I think that it is really important to do research on each character and decide what items you want to make and what items you want to buy. Most Halloween and Costume shops are not open all year round so it is a great idea to find amazing online websites to purchase items from. I am currently working on a Black Canary costume and was able to get an amazing wig and fishnets from http://www.costumesupercenter.com.
Don’t be scared to modify items or to go to vintage shops to find what you need. If you are unable to find an item, you can make it yourself or have a friend help you out. Do not be afraid of messing up, all cosplayers have been in a position where they have had to remake an item or have a friend help them out. If you do not have any friends located near you to help, use social media and cosplay forums. There are always people available who are willing to help you grow, you just need to ask.
- MoGT: What are your biggest pet peeves while Cosplaying?
NerdGirlBritt: Not having enough room on the convention floor for larger costumes. I would love to make bigger and over the top costumes but they are just not practical when walking a convention floor. There are so many people around that I would not want to hurt anyone or mess anything up.
- MoGT: Do you have any good dating stories about breaking the news that you cosplay? Or how does your significant other feel about your nerdness?
NerdGirlBritt: My boyfriend has always supported my love for cosplay and all things nerdy. For my birthday, he even purchased costume making supplies for me.
- MoGT: What are some upcoming events or projects you are a part of/or are looking forward to?
NerdGirlBritt: I am always looking forward to the next San Diego Comic Con. I am really excited right now because in September I am going to be working with a professional photographer to put together a portfolio of all my current costumes.
- MoGT: When you aren’t Cosplaying how fashion conscious are you? How would you describe your clothing/style? And do you have any fashion tips for our readers?
NerdGirlBritt: It honestly depends on what I am doing. If I am just hanging around the house, I tend to just wear a T-shirt (most likely something purchased at a convention) and sweats. When I go out I like to put nerd themed outfits together. It is fun to use accessories to make classy outfits somewhat nerdy. My favorite accessories have to be my rhinestone Batman logo earrings, bracelet, and ring.
My advice for fashion is just be yourself and wear the things that you like. If you like an item or character logo do not be afraid to incorporate it into your style. If you cannot find an item that you are looking for you can make it yourself or find a friend and commission them to do it. There is nothing wrong with asking for help.
- MoGT: Could you tell us your best stories about a person or group of people you’ve met while at an event ?
NerdGirlBritt: I have seriously had some of the best experiences at San Diego Comic Con. This past year was absolutely amazing, I met the wonderful Ivy Doomkitty, Riddle (Riddle’s Messy Wardrobe), Lauren from Castle Corsetry, Victoria and Jinyo, just to name a few. It was also nice to see so many amazing cosplayers walk the convention floor. This year was also especially amazing because I was able to meet up with one of my Twitter Friends @TishTini and cosplay together.
- MoGT: Alright – onto hypotheticals – if your nerd dream came true: what are you starring in, and who are you starring with? Any specific actor/actresses/writer/directors?
NerdGirlBritt: If my nerd dreams came true I would be starring next to the amazing Kristen Bell in the next Veronica Mars movie. Kristen is an amazing inspiration not just as Veronica. In her personal life you can see how passionate she is about helping others and I would love to meet her.
- MoGT: To wrap it up, is there anything you want your followers to know about you: like what your passions in life are? Or any advice for our readers and your followers?
NerdGirlBritt: I want all my followers to know that I plan on doing cosplay for a very long time. I want to continue to improve my skills and become a better cosplayer with each and every costume that I showcase. I absolutely love cosplaying and working on cosplay. My advice to anyone out there is to follow your dreams. If there is some dream costume that you would like to do, start working on it in your spare time and eventually you will have a costume that you are proud of. Do not worry about what others say about it because if you really love it isn’t that all that matters.
Go now and follow, this Cosplayer is Good Taste approved!
Thanks for CosTalk’in
~ E.S. Norton ~